Make a submission

QLD and Australian Government

Have your say and give feedback on Queensland Government decisions here. 

Description of key public consultations

1. Name of consultation: Vehicle access permits in Queensland recreation areas

Closing date/time: 13 March 2020, 11.59pm.

Outline of the consultation: The Queensland Government would like to hear about your four-wheel drive vehicle use in recreation areas, including how often and where you use your vehicle access permits.  Recreation areas include UNESCO World Heritage-listed K’gari (Fraser Island), Green Island, Mulgumpin (Moreton Island), Bribie Island, Inskip Peninsula, Cooloola and Minjerribah (North Stradbroke Island).  Your feedback in their short (about 5-minutes) survey will be used to identify potential options for vehicle access permits covering multiple recreation areas.  People who drive in recreation areas may be required to purchase vehicle access permits.  The fees from these permits are used to manage the recreation areas, including maintenance and repairs to visitor facilities and four-wheel driving tracks. 

Why is this consultation important?  The access permits will affect the above-mentioned seven recreation areas established under the Recreation Areas Management Act 2006. Most of Moreton Island, Bribie Island, Fraser Island and the eastern half of Green Island, as well as Cooloola, are national parks and are vital for wildlife habitat and conservation. 

Moreton Island alone, for example, holds internationally important Ramsar Convention wetlands and is part of Moreton Bay which supports thousands of migratory birds.  Unfortunately, the area has been experiencing significant decline, as noted by conservation research and Birdlife Australia.  Furthermore, research has found that vehicles significantly contribute to habitat degradation of Fraser Island's sandy terrain.  Your survey feedback is important for advocating to protect these wildlife areas from further decline.  

Where to send your submission: take the survey here.

For more information, contact: Queensland Department of Environment and Science or phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68).


For submissions on development applications, email

Information on making a submission for a priority development area (PDA) can be found on the specific PDA page.

Submit an environmental incident report online or via your mobile device.

Sign, or start your own E-Petition.

Or go to Parliamentary Committees and make submissions to current inquiries.


Other Commonwealth Consultations

See other Department of Environment and Energy consultations here

See also

EPBC Act - public notices and invitation to comment
Fisheries - Assessments open for comment
Species and ecological communities - Listing assessments open for comment
Wildlife trade - Invitations to comment
National heritage - Assessments open for comment
Online surveys - Departmental consultation hub


Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.