Queensland Conservation Council is looking for a Deputy Director to be a key partner and co-conspirator with QCC’s Director, Dave Copeman, as a leadership team that will help QCC realise the potential we have as a quickly growing, dynamic environment movement leader in Queensland.
You are an experienced climate or nature conservation campaigner or leader, who has won state or national outcomes. You have a clear understanding of the actions Queensland must adopt to address the twin climate and biodiversity crises our State faces.
You appreciate the significant opportunities that currently exist in Queensland if we can build people power to realise the strong majority support for greater action on climate and protecting nature, and want to be part of ensuring that this opportunity is achieved.
You are looking for a role where you can grow your impact, leading a team of knowledgeable, passionate and hardworking staff to run effective campaigns that result in lasting change.
You have expertise that could improve QCC in a number of the following areas; digital marketing/social media, media and public representation, environmental science, campaign strategy, advocacy to government and business, managing campaign staff, campaign evaluation and reporting.
QCC is determined to move beyond colonial practices, and have adopted Reconciliation Action Plan and begun the work of increasing our cultural competency and understanding. We would strongly favour a First Nations candidate for this position, and greatly value such leadership such an individual could bring to the Queensland environment movement.
- Location: Brisbane (remote working possible for some days each week).
- Hours: Full time. Flexibility in working outside standard office hours will occasionally be required.
- Term of employment: Permanent position, with 3-month probationary period
- Remuneration: $90,000 - $107,000 per annum, plus 10% superannuation and 17.5% holiday leave loading (SCHADS Level 6-8)
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Support the QCC Director in the leadership of QCC, including responsibility for delivering on our theory of change and strategic plan, and growing our power to address the climate and biodiversity crises we face.
- Delivering at least two of five QCC’s strategic goals; This will include managing QCC's climate campaign team and likely QCC’s nature campaign team to achieve their ambition goals to reduce emissions, transform Queensland's energy generation system, double protected areas and end out of control landclearing. You will lead the process for setting campaign strategy, managing timelines and reporting, and organising funding and grants to support our strategies.
- You will take a lead on managing Queensland Conservation Council’s public communications, by shaping our media strategy with the Director and managing the Digital Coordinator.
- You will share with the Director the responsibility of staff management, development and growth, helping staff to grow in their autonomy, competence and leadership, and shape QCC’s culture, as ambitious, relational, collaborative, highly skilled leaders of the Queensland environment movement.
- Support and share with the Director the role of public representation of QCC, to media, government, the conservation movement and other stakeholders.
- At least two years’ employment at a management or leadership level in the not-for-profit environment or related sectors.
- Ability to manage a team of staff and foster a productive and collegiate work environment.
- Ability to work with groups and communities to develop their capacity to advocate for environmental protection.
- Strong skills in campaign strategy and at least three years experience coordinating successful social change campaigns or projects.
- Ability to use all forms of media to communicate effectively at a high level.
- Knowledge of Queensland’s climate or nature movement and current environmental issues in one of these areas.
- Demonstrated commitment to protecting our climate and natural environment
Valued but Non-Essential:
- Experience achieving social change in partnership with traditional owners or other First nations organisations.
- Experience of raising significant funds for not-for-profit organisations or projects.
- Digital campaign experience.
- Project management experience.
To apply, please complete the form on Ethical Jobs.