The Douglas Shire Sustainability Group (DSSG) is an environmental advocacy group, founded in 2005, the objectives of which are:
1. To promote and encourage the adoption of the principles of ecologically sustainable development to all sectors of the community throughout the Douglas Shire area.
2. To promote the protection and conservation of the unique environment in the Douglas Shire area and it’s surrounds including the Great Barrier Reef, the Wet Tropics and World Heritage areas.
3. To promote social, economic and environmental balance.
4. To promote and support environmentally sustainable practices education and greater environmental awareness of visitors and residents of the Douglas Shire area.
5. To recognise and promote the sustainable practices of the Traditional Owners of the Douglas Shire area.