Add your voice to our letter calling on our political leaders to take action on Land Clearing!
Dear Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk/Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls
Clearing is out of control again in Queensland. Since laws, policies and enforcement processes were
substantially weakened in 2012 and 2013, Queensland’s land clearing rates have risen dramatically to
levels not seen for more than a decade.
Clearing has a major impact on native wildlife and threatened species which depend on woodlands
for habitat. Clearing is also bad for the Great Barrier Reef, waterways, and the climate. State land
clearing legislation, planning legislation, enforcement policies and monitoring processes all need to
be strengthened and used to achieve a new level of protection from clearing threats.
In particular we need:
1. Permanent protection for all old-growth native woodlands and forests
2. Permanent protection of all other high conservation value native woodlands and forests
3. Removal of ‘Self-Assessable Codes’ for land clearing
4. Strong monitoring and resourcing for the enforcement of land clearing laws
5. Improved mapping for vegetation and a halt to exemptions via property maps
6. Establishment of a substantial ecological carbon fund and support for restoration opportunities
7. A commitment to prompt, transparent and regular (minimum annual) release of clearing data
and reporting on impacts.
Please commit to taking these actions to help protect our native wildlife and their habitats.
(Your name here)